Manages the Department of Nursing in accordance with policy and procedure, state and federal regulations to promote high quality care and service to the facility and community.
A Master’s degree in Nursing from an accredited college or university; AND, Three or more years of professional experience as a Registered Nurse
A Bachelor’s degree in Nursing from an accredited college or university; AND Four or more years of professional experience as a Registered Nurse.
An Associate’s degree in Nursing from an accredited college or university or a Diploma in Nursing; AND Five or more years of professional experience as a Registered Nurse
• Must possess of a current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of Missouri or in accordance with Missouri’s Nurse Licensure Compact at the time of appointment.
Directs or assists in the overall planning, development, and administration of the assigned program(s) or service(s);
• Demonstrate knowledge of and promote resident rights, including but not limited to the right to be free of restraints and free of abuse. Promptly report incidents or evidence of resident abuse or violations of residents’ rights.
• Follow dress code guidelines as per MVC policy and procedure.
• Approach duties with a positive attitude and constructively support open communication, dedication and compassion.
• Maintain effective communication with residents, families, healthcare professionals and facility staff.
• Adhere to all established facility and commission policies and procedures.
• Promote positive employee relations.
• Participate in individual training plan as required.
• Work wherever needed within the department and facility.
• Ensure privacy of all protected health information to which he/she may have access.<br>• Apply objectives from offered training
• Perform duties in a safe manner minimizing the risk of on the job injuries.
• Demonstrate knowledge of emergency procedures and respond accordingly.
• Demonstrate understanding of the mission statement of the Missouri Veterans Commission Homes Program. Exhibit a willingness to work as a team member in carrying out the mission of the organization.
• Facilitate implementation of care systems, i.e., falls, infection control, quality management programs, etc.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: (Any one position may not include all of the duties listed nor do the listed examples include all tasks, which may be found in positions of this class.)
• Maintain professional license in good standing.
• Manage the department of nursing and direct the total nursing care program, including the infection control program and restorative services. Ensure implementation of care systems, i.e. falls; infection control; quality management programs, etc. Take all reasonable steps to assure that the optimal achievable level of nursing care is provided and ensure that VA and MVC standards are met. Establish and define departmental management goals and objectives and provide feedback on degree of attainment. Use expertise to make work processes more efficient by planning and preparing staff for continuous quality improvement. Manage admissions in a timely manner to maintain occupancy. Participate in budget planning process.
• Plan and direct the work of professional and paraprofessional staff. Evaluate nursing staffing requirements and maintain a comprehensive working schedule for the nursing department based on changes in patient acuity levels, census and program goals. Participate in the privileging and credentialing of independent healthcare practitioners.
• Plan, implement and evaluate nursing total quality management. Ensure that quality management and key factor programs are in place within the department to provide comprehensive and safe resident care. Ensure that key factor data is within acceptable parameters resulting in quality outcomes for the department and the data is valid. Provide appropriate analysis when there is variance from the acceptable parameter within the designated time frame, identifying trends in outcomes, and providing thorough analysis of data. Develop and implement an effective plan to address any area of deficiency assuring prompt correction.
• Hold nursing meetings at least monthly. Supervise the preparation and maintenance of nursing reports and records. Ensure comprehensive and accurate documentation by nursing personnel. Review 24 hour reports daily and follow up as necessary. Make rounds daily. Stand or walk for extended periods of time, making facility rounds, participating in wound rounds, etc. Review and refer to appropriate administrative personnel, all incident reports, treatment/medication errors or problems from any source, taking corrective action when necessary with appropriate documentation.
• Monitor and develop recruitment and retention plans, which result in lower nursing employee turnover. Interview, hire and evaluate nursing management team. Ensure performance management is implemented for each employee and reviewed in accordance with facility policy and procedure. Provide feedback to staff by commendation, clinical instruction, counseling or other corrective or disciplinary action with appropriate documentation. Edit time records and process for nurse management team on Kronos.
• Follow policies and procedures regarding body substance precautions/infection control at all times.
• Identify and report significant events to Administrator according to established policy.
• Coordinate nursing program with other departments, VA and community resources. Communicate/coordinate with SDC to assure adequate training of nursing employees. Coordinate with medical director and attending physician to assure compliance with standard policies, procedures and Commission guidelines as well as approve all new departmental policies and procedures.
• Assume responsibility for safe, sanitary working environment.
• Respond to internal and external disasters such as fires, tornadoes, etc., in order to protect residents, staff and property.
• Respond to equipment alarms; interpret and understand equipment instructions, manuals and other relevant written materials; and communicate hazardous areas and/or situations to other employees/residents.
• Maintain competency in geriatric nursing and serve as a resource to nursing staff, providing hands on resident assessment at times, as well as, providing staff education.
• Arrive to work on time and when scheduled, minimize unscheduled absences and schedule sick leave and annual leave responsibly, as established by Commission policy.
• Actively participate as a member of the interdisciplinary team.
• Perform manual electronic data entry.
• Work overtime, weekends, holidays, evenings and nights as needed.
To apply: Please contact
Ericca L. Siler
620 N Jefferson
St. James, MO 65559
Phone: 573-265-3271 ext 289